Telkom files 2012 tariff adjustments
Telkom has ensured that its 2012 annual tariff adjustment is below the Consumer Price Index as the Company revealed an increase of only 1.2% on overall basic voice and data services.
The adjustments, which will come into effect on 1 August 2012, apply to Telkom's tariffs for line rentals, outgoing calls, DSL and data connectivity services.
"Telkom is committed to delivering value as we endeavour to contain the adjustments to a minimum. To this end, the adjustments are significantly less than inflation which is currently at 5.7%," said Mr Manelisa Mavuso, Telkom's Managing Director: Consumer Services and Retail.
Mr Mavuso pointed to a decrease in fixed to mobile call tariffs. "The new per minute tariffs for will be reduced by 3.6% to R1.35 for peak time and R1.08 for off peak calls.
Although international calls will not increase overall, tariffs to certain destinations will increase others will decrease. Some destinations for example the United Kingdom and the United States of America will remain unchanged.
PrepaidFone local calls increase by 5% but long distance calls remain unchanged. Line rental for PrepaidFone will increase by 6%. Postpaid residential and business line rental increase by 6%. Installation charges increase by 6% including Postpaid, PrepaidFone ISDN and DSL services.
On Telkom's Closer product range the monthly subscription for Closer 1 will increase to R167, Closer 2 will increase to R185 and Closer 3 will increase to R341.
Mr Mavuso said that adjustments to data connectivity products were also kept to a minimum with an overall increase of only 1%.
The monthly rental fees on Telkom's Do Broadband bundles remain unchanged. Monthly rental fees on the DSL offers will increase as follows: Fast DSL will increase to R165.00; Faster DSL will increase to R299.00 and Fastest DSL will increase to R425.00.
"As competition in the industry heats up, Telkom continues to compete and ultimately promote affordable telecommunications access," concluded Mr Mavuso.
For further enquiries, please contact:
For further enquiries, please contact:
Senior Specialist: Media Relations
Tel.: (012) 311-5247
Cell: 081 389 7874
Specialist: Media Relations
Tel.: (012) 311-7114
Cell: 081 391 4780
Telkom is a leading communications services provider in South Africa and on the African continent. We had consolidated operating revenue from continuing operations of R33.1 billion and profit for the year from continuing operations of R179 million for the year ended 31 March 2012. Total assets from continuing operations amounted to R52.6 billion and equity attributable to the owners of Telkom to R29.7 billion as of 31 March 2012. The group generated free cash flow of R2.1 billion for the year ended 31 March 2012.
As of 31 March 2012, we had approximately 4.0 million telephone access lines in service and 99.9% of our telephone access lines were connected to digital exchanges. We offer business, residential and payphone customers a wide range of services and products, including:
- fixed-line subscription and connection services to post-paid, prepaid and private payphone customers using PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) lines, including ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network) lines, and the sale of the subscription based value-added voice services and customer premises equipment rental and sales;
- fixed-line traffic services to post-paid, prepaid, and payphone customers, including local, long distance, fixed-to-mobile, international outgoing and international voice-over-internet protocol traffic services;
- interconnection services, including terminating and transiting traffic from South African mobile operators, as well as from international operators and transiting traffic from mobile to international destinations;
- fixed-line data centre operations and internet services, including domestic and international data transmission services, such as point-to-point leased lines, ADSL (Asymmetrical Digital Subscriber Line) services, packet-based services, managed data networking services and internet access and related information technology services;
- e-commerce, including internet access service provider, application service provider, hosting, data storage, e-mail and security services;
- W-CDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access), a 3G next generation network, including fixed voice services, data services and nomadic voice services;
- mobile communication services, data services and handset sales through its mobile brand called 8•ta; and
- other services including directory services, through Trudon (Proprietary) Limited, wireless data services, through Swiftnet (Proprietary) Limited and internet services outside South Africa, through iWayAfrica Group (integration of Africa Online Limited and MWEB Africa Limited).