New organisational structure to take Telkom Mobile forward
Telkom Mobile has achieved a number of significant milestones, since entry into the mobile market. The organisation has matured and is geared to offer several new propositions.
"It is of great importance that we keep the momentum going. In fact, delivery on our mobile investment features very high on the corporate agenda. It is an appropriate time to reconfigure the Telkom Mobile top leadership team," said Telkom Group CEO, Nombulelo Moholi.
Telkom has embarked on a recruitment process to appoint a Managing Director that will be an EXCO member of the Telkom Group.
Until such an appointment has been made, the Telkom Mobile executive team will report to the Chief Financial Officer, Jacques Schindehütte.
Amith Maharaj will continue to head up Telkom Mobile Operations. His position has been upgraded to that of Senior Managing Executive (SME).
"This is in recognition of the sterling work he has done to bring Telkom Mobile to where it is today. I would like to congratulate Amith on a position well deserved," said Ms Moholi.
In his role as SME: Telkom Mobile Operations, Amith will be responsible for Mobile IT and Networks as well as Mobile Marketing, including product development, the go-to-market strategy and convergence services.
Additional announcements about appointments in this regard will be made in due course, she concluded.
For further enquiries, please contact:
Senior Specialist: Media Relations
Tel.: (012) 311-5247
Cell: 081 389 7874
Specialist: Media Relations
Tel.: (012) 311-7114
Cell: 081 391 4780
Telkom is a leading communications services provider in South Africa and on the African continent. We had consolidated normalised operating revenue from continuing operations of R33.4 billion and normalised profit for the year from continuing operations of R2.4 billion for the year ended 31 March 2011. Total assets from continuing operations amounted to R54.3 billion and equity attributable to the owners of Telkom to R29.6 billion as of 31 March 2011. The group generated normalised free cash flow of R3.5 billion for the year ended 31 March 2011.
As of 31 March 2011, we had approximately 4.2 million telephone access lines in service and 99.9% of our telephone access lines were connected to digital exchanges. We offer business, residential and payphone customers a wide range of services and products, including:
- fixed-line subscription and connection services to post-paid, prepaid and private payphone customers using PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) lines, including ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network) lines, and the sale of the subscription based value-added voice services and customer premises equipment rental and sales;
- fixed-line traffic services to post-paid, prepaid, and payphone customers, including local, long distance, fixed-to-mobile, international outgoing and international voice-over-internet protocol traffic services;
- interconnection services, including terminating and transiting traffic from South African mobile operators, as well as from international operators and transiting traffic from mobile to international destinations;
- fixed-line data centre operations and internet services,including domestic and international data transmission services, such as point-to-point leased lines, ADSL (Asymmetrical Digital Subscriber Line) services, packet-based services, managed data networking services and internet access and related information technology services;
- e-commerceincluding internet access service provider, application service provider, hosting, data storage, e-mail and security services;
- W-CDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access), a 3G next generation network, including fixed voice services, data services and nomadic voice services;
- mobile communication services, including voice services, data services and handset sales through its mobile brand called 8•ta; and
- other services including directory services, through Trudon (Proprietary) Limited, wireless data services, through Swiftnet (Proprietary) Limited and internet services outside South Africa, through iWayAfrica Group (integration of Africa Online Limited and MWEB Africa Limited).